Thursday, June 09, 2005

finding kids books for feminists

ok folks, i gotta tell ya...finding kids books for a feminist is not the easiest thing in the world to do, especially when her little person is only 4, and she knows exactly what kind of books she wants for the little person, but no titles in mind... (doh...i just had a flash of inpiration...2 hours too late...shoulda showed her 'the paperbag princess'...oh well...it very often happens that i find the perfect book for a customer 5 minutes after they leave or think of some great ideas... frustrating that)
so as i'm passing through the kids section at work, (where i can find pretty much anything, more or less, but i can't necessarily recommend stuff except by author reputation or fuzzy memories or what is selling or other people have told me is good ( and sometimes i can't recommend the stuff i remember cuz it's kinda ... dated in it's sensitivities...?). so this black lady is kinda looking around like she needs help so i offer to help her. she's looking for "pioneer stories" for her 4 year old, but not like the europeans who colonised north america "pioneer stories", more like the first woman to do something, or stuff like that - pioneers in the broad sense. i'm impressed by the idea but a little unsure what i can find for a 4 year old.
(NOTe: Jen and 'Col are not allowed to get mad at me for not thinking of something that is totally obvious to them...but ideas are welcome)
so we try the kids history section, cuz i know i've seen stuff about great figures in women's history, and there's a couple maybes which she shoots down. the first one was definitely too advanced for her kid. the other one was an underground railroad kinda story, but it was ultimately disempowering. i begin to suspect feminist tendencies and think harder. next we try the 'tails from around the world' section, where i'm hoping to find something that fits the bill or to fall back on multiculturalistic intentions. also i know that there's something about nelson mandela there. turns out its a collection of stuff selected by mandela, not about mandela. hmm... now i also face a funny question, and i'm putting this out there for thought - should i just reach for nelson mandela? or is that too obvious and therefore maybe a bit racist? is overthinking the situation i different kind of well-intentioned racism? ... i left mandela on the shelf. hmm...
as our adventure continues i picked and pulled a few titles for her consideration, "the first strawberry" (a cherokee tale about a woman who discovers strawberries) is the only actual title i can remember although there was a mexican one too. both turned down, one cuz of gender role issues, the other cuz it mentioned "poor indians" ("bad on both counts"). i am not mocking the lady, in case that's not clear here on the internet where there's no tone of voice...this was just a generally tricky situation - i was in full support of her request and really wanted to help her, only i couldn't really....well i guess i did, cuz she did appreciate the time i spent with her, and i managed to find a dozen books resembling what she wanted from which she took one. all the others were turned down with feminist critiques... but apparently feminism hasn't swept all the way through children's literature to what she wanted...or i could not find it. normally when a customer is that picky....except she was picky in the right way i guess.
ya know this was funnier in my head. stupid post.
and i don't remember what she actually purchased. sorry. i was just glad i was able to find something for her (because i was glad to find something for her kid, not for my own sake).

4 comments:

Jennifer Jane Whiteford said...

Okay, I won't get mad at you, but only because I truly appreciate your foresight in stating that I am NOT allowed to get mad at you...

Seriously, though, does your bookstore have Free To Be You and Me? That has stories for all age groups and its sooooo feminist and political and racially harmonious etc.

Jennifer

pol said...

yeah we totally have 'free to be' but her desire for 'pioneer' stories got me on a different track. and you know i'm teasing right? (apparently i'm feeling sensitive to that lack of indicators in the written word...plus it's been so long...)

'col said...

I love Free To Be You and Me--it might have something to do with the "I'm a baby!" sketch that they made us watch the film for when I was six. I love love it.
It is, however, really a product of its time. There's a bunch of gender stuff in there that makes me kinda cringe now (and no queer people!), even though I think the basic concept is fantastic. (I did buy the cd for Madi and Jon not too long ago--uneven is a hell of a lot better than the consistently poopy that is most books.) We need a Free to Be You and Me for the new millenium, even though I would have to learn new songs.

Re: the Mandela thing--this is the kind of overthinking I do, too. I think it's pretty normal to experience that as a white person living in a racist culture who's trying to do something differently. My tactic for myself has been to go for it and make the recommendation--my biggest concern for myself is making sure that I recommend those books to white customers as well. I think any feminist children's library has to contain books with a lot of different kids and cultures in them, and I certainly don't think it's out of line to look for Black authors when you're trying to be affirming for a Black kid. Know what I'm saying?

The Toronto Women's Bookstore website (www.womensbookstore.com) has a list of kids' books in their web store. I was just over there looking. (bell hooks! yay!) We probably don't have a lot of this stuff in, but if we work harder at selling it, we'll stock more.

Anyway, now I'm just doing that talking to think out loud thing--always dangerous when my words are just going to sit here in cyberspace for anyone to come along and see where all the flaws in said thinking are.

-Whew!-

Adam said...

I had "Free to Be You and Me" on vinyl - in fact I still do. After dance in my pants I'm gonna go home and give it a spin - see if I can find the song that would always creep me out as a kid...